Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Nearly baby time and I'm nervous

Almost there! I'm only a week and a half away from my due date!

I'd love to tell you all I'm just full of excitement but to be honest I'm feeling more nervous than anything. You'd think this being my second child I'd be feeling at least a little more confident but the opposite is true. With my daughter my labour was induced at the hospital ten days after my due date. In the end she was born twelve days late. Some women would hate to have been pregnant an extra almost two weeks but my first pregnancy was so easy going it honestly didn't bother me at all. In a way I found it reassuring that I was there in hospital when everything did start to happen. No worrying about my husband having to come home from work and getting stuck in traffic or something like that. I wasn't in the grocery store or mall when my waters broke or wondering if what I was feeling were contractions, braxton hicks or just soreness. To be completely honest even before I went past my due date I was incredibly calm about the whole thing. At my midwife appointments it was often mentioned how calm and easy going I was. Not at all like this time.

I've been wondering why I'm nervous about something that I've already done, quite well if I do say so myself. I know the process is natural and that my body was made to do this. My own mother and many friends have been working very hard to be reassuring but for some reason I'm sitting here thinking it would almost be easier if the baby waited like his sister did so I know I'm in the right place and basically what will happen. Sound ridiculous, especially coming from a mum who is a big believer in doing things naturally if possible. So maybe it's just the fear of the unknown.

Maybe it's the differences between this pregnancy compared to my first. This time the baby has actually dropped a little, Sari didn't drop until well into the induction process. I've had some braxton hicks, which I admit made me panic for a moment when it happened. I never felt any with my daughter. I just have a feeling he won't be in there for as long as his sister. With Sari I was able to relax, whenever I wanted or needed to. This time I have a two year old to look after. Picking her up, playing, the extra cleaning and cooking have definitely taken their toll on me during this pregnancy.

Maybe the nerves are because I remember how long, painful and tiring labour was the first time. Thankfully we had no real complications, just a stubborn baby who was quite comfortable where she was. It was a long couple of days though.

Even with all my nerves I'm still so very excited to meet our son. I wonder what he'll look like. If he'll be like his sister in temperament. Will it be much different having a baby boy compared to a baby girl? There's something about adding a second child to our family that makes me feel "complete." That's not say we'll never consider having a third but for right now two seems just right.

Wish me luck readers, any day now I could be posting about how things actually did go!
 

1 comment:

  1. On the plus side, all your friends are excited! :-) Good luck!!
    Kathryn xx

    ReplyDelete