Monday, 2 April 2012

So many things to do...including planning a Brit Milah

This morning when I woke up my first thought was "Omigod I've only got four weeks until my due date." My second thought was "Omigod three years ago today I arrived in Australia." The latter made me smile and snuggle up a little closer to my still sleeping husband, Doug. The first thought though that made me think of the all the things I still have to do before we welcome our little boy into the world. The list is sadly quite long. Funny enough, even though I went through this only 2 years ago with our first child it seems I've been slack in getting prepared this time around. With my daughter I spent months buying things, clothes, furniture, toys, lots of nappies. I bought wind drops before she was even born and never once needed them, the list goes on. This time around there are certainly less big ticket items to buy and my new circle of friends here in Australia have made sure I have no need to go out buying baby boy clothes for at least a year (thank you ladies!) I've still managed to wait until now before even thinking of buying anything at all. It's not just buying of things, it's becoming organised for the arrival of a new baby. The one thing I have done is give a bag of stuff to the friend who is looking after our daughter to have for when we drop Sari off before heading to the hospital. Just this past weekend I started to pack the nappy bag with baby clothes, nappies, etc for when we're ready to leave the hospital. I have yet to even start packing my own hospital bag, I keep saying I'll get on it tomorrow. There's the rental of a car seat capsule for those newborn months to arrange. There's still some rearranging in the house to do including moving the nappy changing table out of Sari's room and into the nursery. The list goes on...and on.

One of the other things that needs to be done is to make sure we ready for organising a Brit Milah. Thankfully the actual organising of a mohel/doctor, making phone calls, emails and anything else that needs to be done will land on hubby's to-do list after the baby is born. I basically just show up. For my non Jewish readers I'll explain a little about what is involved in a Brit Milah. Brit meaning covenant, Milah meaning to cut. This of course is referring to circumcision. The ceremony itself actually has two parts, the blessing and circumcision are part one. Followed by kiddish and the naming of the baby. It's done on the eighth day after a baby boy is born providing the baby is in good enough health. Not even for the Holiest days of the year do we postpone a Brit Milah. Only in the case of a baby who is too weak or sick is it suppose to be postponed. This important ceremony is something I'm looking forward to, well mostly. Having our son enter into the covenant is a special moment for both Doug and I. The actual circumcision itself I will no doubt have my eyes closed for though. I've come across some more liberal than myself Jews who are against the ritual of circumcision. To them I say, to each their own but for me and my family it's fulfilling a Mitzvah that marks our son's entrance into the covenant with God and we find it very important to us.

I've never had the opportunity to attend a Bris (Yiddish for Brit) so while I know what to expect it will be my first in-person experience. Hopefully in about five weeks time I'll be recovering well and able to take in this very special ceremony with family and a few friends.

Here's to being more organised in these weeks leading up to the arrival of my little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment