As I posted not long ago the 'school issue' takes up much of my thinking time lately. This is something I'll probably be posting about a lot in hopes that writing about it with declutter my brain a little. Anyways, this morning in the shower (where I do my best thinking) I was weighing the idea of homeschooling my children...again. There are two things that I was really mulling over this morning.
The first is how much fun we could have with the subjects I enjoy. History being always my favourite and to this day one of my favourite things. I'm a book reading, history lover and I have no shame about that. Geeky or not I love history, in particular English history. I'm so passionate about the subject I imagine how it might and hopefully would rub off on the two kids. As a kid I always found my favourite and best teachers were the ones who loved what they were teaching. I've worried a lot about whether I could be a good teacher, teaching something I love though, I would enjoy that and I'd like to think so would the kids. As a good homeschooling friend has pointed out several times, we could get completely absorbed in a period of history. We could tie in maths, science, English and even cooking to our history lesson. A entire unit absorbed in the Romans or the Middles Ages or Regency period. Jewish history ties is to all these eras and we could look into the impact of these periods of history on our people. As you can probably tell I absolutely love the idea of teaching history to my children. I have to say this gets an extra check on the pro side of my pros and cons list.
The second thing that I was pondering over in the shower probably won't sound so nice. I love my kids beyond measure, them along with my husband are the best thing to ever happen to me and the most important but the fact of the matter is sometimes they drive me crazy. I'm not sure if I have the type of patience I would need to be a homeschooling mum. The same homeschooling friend has said to me 'it could be the best childhood or the worst.' I'm worried the latter would be the case. I'd like to think I'm not a terribly cranky mum but it would dishonest of me if I didn't say some days I'm most definitely not 'Mother of the year' material. I want Sari and Lev to have a happy, carefree and wonderful childhood and I'd be devastated if that wasn't the case because of me.
All this thinking and analysing is because I'm terrified of making the wrong choice. I realise that if one doesn't work out then we can simply change our minds. However I don't like the idea of starting a school or begin homeschooling and then upset Sari by changing my mind after she's settled in. I went to ten different schools growing up mostly all attended before I graduated the fifth grade. I don't want that for my children. Stability is such an important thing for young ones. I feel like I'd be doing both kids a disservice if I did that. Thank goodness Sari is still only two and half, Doug and I have some time yet before we make a final decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment