Wednesday, 19 September 2012

My Reflections

Well it's that time of year. The time when as Jews we are suppose to reflect, forgive and ask forgiveness from those we've wronged in the past year. I hope I am forgiven if I've offended any of you, my readers and my friends (who are probably the only ones who read this blog.)

Indeed, the people I must and have apologised to are my husband and my two children. They are the ones who cop my bad moods and see all my imperfections. Sari at two and a half, has at least a basic understand of apology and forgiveness. I am a mum who will say 'I'm sorry' to my toddler when I'm in the wrong. This usually happens when I've snapped at her or lost my patience. I think it shows a healthy amount of humility and let's Sari know that everyone makes mistakes and that apologising for those mistakes is the right thing to do. Children follow our example. If I am honest with my children hopefully they will learn to be honest with me. I have no desire for my children to think I'm always right. It would only hurt and confuse them when they figure out I'm not. So I believe in owing up to my faults.

For now Sari's understanding of the ten days of repentance, Yom Kippur and the importance of this all is still lost on her but in the future I hope that both kids will take advantage of this time of year to sit down, reflect and hopefully move foward with improvement. I read somewheres an idea that I believe is a great way to represent wiping the slate clean each year at this time. Take the kids down the beach, grab a stick and close to the water write in the sand your past years mistakes in one word summaries. Once a word is written watch as a wave sweeps it away. I think this a fantastic way to bring home the idea of forgiveness.

I hope you all have an easy fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment